Tuesday 4 November 2014

Greg Chappell hits back, calls Tendulkar's claims 'untrue'

Former Indian coach, Greg Chappell, has responded angrily to comments about him by ace Indian batsman, Sachin Tendulkar, and has claimed that Sachin's assertions were 'false'. In his upcoming autobiography, Playing It My Way, which will be released this week, Tendulkar had stated that Greg Chappell had spoken to him about the possibility of he replacing incumbent captain, Rahul Dravid, as India's captain, months before the 2007 Cricket World Cup.

"The claims made in Sachin's new book were brought to my attention earlier today," Chappell told cricket.com.au. "Whilst I don't propose to get into a war of words, I can state quite clearly that during my time as Indian coach I never contemplated Sachin replacing Rahul Dravid as captain. I was therefore very surprised to read the claims made in the book.

"During those years, I only ever visited Sachin's home once, and that was with our physio and assistant coach during Sachin's rehabilitation from injury, at least 12 months earlier than what was reported in the book. We enjoyed a pleasant afternoon together but the subject of captaincy was never raised," Chappell stated.

No comments:

Post a Comment